Monday, January 14, 2019

The Internet and Pool of Information: Non-Restrictions and Availability to All

Happy New Year everyone.

Hope we all had a great holiday. It's been a while on here. The Writer has been up to a lot this past year but I shall do my best to post here often this year.

I was thinking about the internet has changed our lives, the way we think and do things. It has practically changed the way we function in every facet of our human endeavours. This is a god thing, to say the least but with every god thing comes its demerits. One of these has (and still is) been the availability of information especially via search engines for individuals not minding their age brackets or limitations.


This thought came to the fore last week Sunday while I was out to a house party with my nephew. Young dude should be about 12. His attention was consumed the entire time by his mobile phone, an Android. I peeped closely as he tried to use google severally to see what dude was searching for with rapt attention. Felt some relief when I saw his repeated searches centered around the Jogan adventure series and other comics. A thought went through my head in that instant - What if he was searching for adult content? Would they be readily available to him and would he be able to download? The answer to the latter is an emphatic YES!

This is the concern. And this is where the issue of availability comes in. Perhaps I will console myself with the fact that guardians will stand up to the daunting task to monitor the internet history  of their wards from time to time. This can be achieved in several ways without having to spy on their mobile phones directly and risk encroaching into their privacy even as the minors they are.

The onus is on us.

Do have a great day everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment